Job Code: #4464
Job Type: Direct Hire
Location: Prince George
Excel Personnel has been retained by our client in Prince George, BC to hire their next Library Director whom is responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing library services which meet the needs of the community in accordance with the Board's policies and is accountable to the Board for the total operation. The Library Director also takes a leadership role in positioning the library in the community as an active participant in community building and in developing and implementing the library’s fund development strategies.
Are you seeking the next Career move in your life, wishing to relocate to beautiful Prince George, BC, where the lifestyle is calm, the rivers and lakes are a short drive away.
Outdoor enthusiasts will find everything they desire in the northern wilderness, including world class fresh water fishing and hunting. Forests and waterfalls line the highways, greenery-rich parks can be found within city limits, and countless lakes and rivers exist within a short drive. In the winter season, the selection is just as diverse: world class Nordic, downhill and heli skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, and snowmobiling are a few of the many pastimes visitors and locals are able to enjoy. You can be sure that excitement is never far away, so bring your skis or camping gear to get the full nature experience that Prince George, BC has to offer!
The Library Director reports to a Library Board appointed by the municipality of Prince George. The Library Director is the key leader of the Leadership Team of the public library. Other members of the Leadership Team are:
- Public Service Manager
- Support & Circulation Services Manager
- Communications Coordinator
- The Library Director advises and assists the Board in planning, initiating, and developing policies, goals, and short-term and long-term objectives for the provision of library services appropriate to the community.
- The Library Director, in collaboration with other members of the Leadership Team, implements the strategic priorities of the Board.
- The Library Director seeks opportunities to partner with other community organizations on projects which contribute to the library’s mission and fosters good relations with community groups and library patrons.
- The Library Director develops and maintains good working relationships with management personnel in the City of Prince George and the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George.
- The Library Director investigates and initiates funding opportunities to diversify the library’s funding base and to fund special projects of the library.The Library Director, in collaboration with other members of the Leadership Team, ensures high level of staff performance by overseeing personnel and labour relations matters in a non-union setting and by providing a climate in which individual employees are encouraged to develop and fulfil the responsibilities of their position.
- The Library Director is responsible for the selection process with regard to other members of the Leadership Team, for ensuring that Annual Reviews for senior managers are completed annually and for encouraging their development.
- The Library Director, in collaboration with other members of the Leadership Team, establishes and maintains good internal communications links.
- The Library Director, in collaboration with other members of the Leadership Team, coordinates the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets; assesses the needs for library services development and improvements; and matches these needs with available monies, keeping in mind the Board’s priorities.
- The Library Director, in collaboration with other members of the Leadership Team, ensures that the material resources of the library are appropriate to serve the entire community in quality, quantity, and diversity.
- The Library Director serves as secretary to the Library Board and all committees and subcommittees of the Board; is responsible for the recording and transcription of minutes; maintains custody of official documents; acts in a liaison capacity; and prepares correspondence for the Board.
- The Library Director initiates and maintains contact with the other libraries and resource centres within the City of Prince George to ensure maximum effort in cooperation and resource sharing.
- The Library Director keeps abreast of current library developments; maintains contact with other libraries in the region; attends conferences; and participates in professional affairs and associations.
- The Library Director performs other duties as may be assigned by the Library Board.
- A Masters degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program or
- Minimum five years of progressive and relevant library experience or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training sufficient to indicate the ability to manage the delivery of library services and programs
- Demonstrated supervisory skills.
Knowledge of computer software and hardware as it applies to library and information services.
- Experience as a liaison with community groups is preferred.
- Proven experience with budget management
- Proven ability to select, train, and motivate staff in a collaborative environment.
- Strong team player.
- High level of self-motivation, creativity, and resourcefulness.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with library staff.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing objectives and priorities.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory, team building and collaborative working skills
- Skill in enabling and fostering change
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- The Library Director’s position is a full time
- 37.5 hour work week,
- Monday to Friday with flexible time available for occasional evening or weekend work.
- This position will have a 6 month probationary period
- Compensation on an annual basis commencing at $105,745.24
- Benefits include Municipal Pension Plan, Group Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance, employee assistance program and Short Term Disability Program
- Medical Services Plan of BC, Extended Health and Dental Benefits are optional if you are covered under a spouses program on a 75% Employer Paid, 25% Employee Paid
- All benefits commence after 4 months of employment
- Vacation begins with 26 Days Paid Vacation = 5.2 weeks a year
- Short listed candidates will be interviewed in person with the Board in Prince George
- Relocation Assistance is available and will be discussed with the successful candidate
Does this sound like your next career? Are you ready to make a move? Well Excel Personnel can assist.
To apply to this position, go to www.excel.bc.ca/opportunities/4464 and register with us and upload your resume directly to the job you wish to apply to so our recruiters can see your interest, Recruiter Karen Watt, Toll Free 1-877-374-3853 – or Raynel Rindero at 1-250-596-3693 for further information after you have uploaded your resume.
Excel Personnel has been hiring Great People for Exceptional Companies since 1992 in Northern, Central and Southern BC and Western Canada.
Excel Personnel provides Permanent, Temporary, Contract Staffing Solutions, Payrolling Services and Executive Search Services for companies that do not have an HR professional onsite and for those that do, that wish to outsource while they continue with their inhouse hiring practices.
Positions available throughout BC in Management, Sales & Marketing, Administration & HR, Finance & Accounting, Manufacturing, Operations, Distribution, Engineering, Information Technology & IT Support, Healthcare, Transportation, and Natural Resources, Forestry, Construction, to name a few.
Positions available throughout British Columbia for your next Career Move, Contact Excel Personnel to have a one on one discussion with one of our recruiters in your area 1-877-374-3853