Terminal Manager - Prince George, BC
Job Code: #4529
Job Type: Direct Hire
Location: Prince George
Terminal Manager - Prince George, BC
The Terminal Manager will manage all the daily functions of the local terminal. This individual is tasked with having all the operational tasks and staff within the terminal to work as a cohesive team and provide the client with a professional service.
Duties and responsibilities
- Daily Operations
- Responsible for all the day to day management of the terminal, ensuring service standards are met, overseeing all dock, yard and P&D operations and maintaining compliance with H&S regulations.
- Manage and oversee the work schedules for employees at this location
- Manage the driver and warehouse employee holiday schedules
- Assist operations staff to create schedules and effectively communicating these schedules to all employees
- Ensure employees are working in conjunction with federal or provincial driving requirements.
- Ensure employees are working within established safety policies and requirements of the Safety Department.
- Communicate with the Safety Department on reporting requirements and analyzing any potential impact of new policy.
- Communicating with other terminals to ensure they have the human resource and equipment required to complete their operations
- Be able to work creatively with resources, in the chance of either a personnel or a equipment shortage
- Communicating with maintenance department/shop regarding equipment maintenance concerns
- Approval of local payables for branch.
- Human Resources
- Be a Liaison between the drivers and dispatch. Communicate with them on a frequent basis to gain an understanding of issues and concerns.
- Conduct interviewing and hiring of new driver and operational staff.
- Ensure that all new hires complete all the required paperwork using the check sheets provided by HR department
- Manage discipline meetings and conduct point’s assessments and record appropriately. Provide reporting requirements to HR.
- Communicate with Ownership before any dismissals are issued.
- Review and approve payroll submitted by the drivers. Meet with drivers to discuss discrepancies
- Arrange and conduct regular drivers meetings. Put together agendas and arrange department presentations.
- Coordinate terminal staff functions (Christmas parties, summer events, etc.)
- Maintain positive moral within the terminal.
- Manage current dispatchers and provide assistance when day to day dispatchers are unavailable.
- Be aware of all the employee activities in the region
- Ensure employees are properly dressed for daily operations (ie. Uniforms, steal toed boats, safety vests)
- Develop delivery routes in conjunction with warehouse foreman (on a daily basis, depending on the freight requirements of the day)
- Reviewing all delivery paperwork (POD – proof of delivery) for accuracy
- Understand requirements and obtain transportation permits when required
- Resolve work conflicts and recommend measures to improve performance
- Train staff on policies and procedures when necessary
- Monitor Repair & Maintenance Program within Terminal. ( Trucks / Trailers due for service / MVI)
- Liaison with outside Repair facilities on repairs / costing
- Determine needs of Equipment for terminal ( Tractors, P & D’s, Forklifts & Misc Equipment)
- Customer Service
- Ensure staff addresses customers appropriately and professionally
- Be able to deal with any customer inquiries, regardless of their attitude
- Working with customer to find adequate pickup and delivery times
- In the chance of a piece shortage of a shipment, working with other terminals to locate the missing pieces
- Assist other office staff with their workload when available, in order to improve overall customer service
- Obtain quote information from customers (via phone, in person, fax, email, or any other type of communication)
- Using computer software quoting program to come up with price
- Reviewing prices with supervisors
- Working with others on large or odd quotes
- Responding to customers in efficient and professional manner with quote
- Data Entry
- Review bills of lading (BOL) to ensure that the drivers are fill them out properly before they go to the bill entry department
- Competent in computer software in order to assist in bill entry or to audit invoices
- Minimum requirement:
- High School Diploma
- Some University Education preferred, but not required
- Skills and abilities
- Proficient reading, writing, and speaking English
- Able to deal with people in a variety of situations and mediate when necessary (ie. conflict resolution or motivation)
- Competent in all Federal and Provincial driver regulations
- Being able to multi-task many activities, with the ability to prioritize
- Able to make decisions and problem solve short-term situations
- Strong computer and technology skills
- Good managerial skills
- Basic numeracy and math skills
- Proper telephone etiquette is required
- Personal Characteristics
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Customer service orientated
- Respectful to everyone
- Responsible and punctual
- Team player
- Professional Certification
- TDG (Dangerous Goods) Certification
- Forklift License
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License, or higher
- Minimum five years dispatching and/or managing experience
- Some Class 1 driving experience is an asset, but not required
Working conditions include a bright, organized, and respectful atmosphere. The Terminal Manager has a desk and workspace, which is placed strategically in order to maximum communication between office staff, drivers, and customers. The workplaces are designed for maximum efficiency and ergonomically design to minimize body stress with unique chairs and keyboard trays. The job will require occasion time spent in the warehouse, equipment yard, and various job sites.
The Terminal Manager will be expected to work an average of 50 - 55 hours per week. The employee will be working Monday to Friday every week, and be available for the occasional Saturday when regular staff is unavailable. Some travel may be required to visit nearby terminals or jobsites.
Potential Safety and Health Hazards:
- Body stress from improper sitting posture and repeated computer use
- Injury resulting from improper heavy lifting
- Operating or in close proximity to large heavy equipment
The Terminal Manager position requires the employee to be able to be mobile and easily transition from a sitting position to being on their feet. Since a large portion of the time at work is spent in a sitting position, an individual should be able to demonstrate correct sitting and computer posture. Some heavy lifting and operating of machinery may be required to assist customers and other employees.
Normal or corrected vision and hearing are required for workplace safety standards. Finger dexterity and coordination are required to operate a computer, phone, calculator, and other tools.
- Board of Directors
- Ownership Group
This position will be attractive to those wishing to advance their career in a top management role. Salary will be based on previous employment history and experience with benefits company paid at 63% and employee paid at 37% with a matching RRSP portion at 3.5% along with a non-discretionary year end bonus.
To apply to this position, go to www.excel.bc.ca and register with us and upload your resume directly to the job you wish to apply to so our recruiters can see your interest, Karen Watt and Raynel Rindero will be your recruiters at 1-877-374-3853 or Prince George at 250-596-3693 for further information after you have uploaded your resume.
Excel Personnel has been hiring Great People for Exceptional Companies since 1992 in Northern, Central and Southern BC and Western Canada.
Excel Personnel provides Permanent, Temporary, Contract Staffing Solutions, Payrolling Services and Executive Search Services for companies that do not have an HR professional onsite and for those that do, that wish to outsource while they continue with their inhouse hiring practices.
Positions available throughout BC in Management, Sales & Marketing, Administration & HR, Finance & Accounting, Manufacturing, Operations, Distribution, Engineering, Information Technology & IT Support, Healthcare, Transportation, and Natural Resources, Forestry, Construction, to name a few.
Positions available throughout British Columbia for your next Career Move, Contact Excel Personnel to have a one on one discussion with one of our recruiters in your area 1-877-374-3853