Job Code: #4771
Job Type: Direct Hire
Excel Personnel has been retained by our client to recruit their next Executive Director that will be reporting to our client’s Board of Directors
Are you currently in between careers? Seeking a new opportunity? Wishing a relocation to Beautiful British Columbia where all planes, trains and automobiles go through Kamloops? Then this just may be what you are looking for. We are seeking a strong professional with past experience working with Boards of Directors’, with strong communication skills.
Accountable to the Active Board of Directors for the delivery of the Society’s Services and Programs; management of the organization’s Finances, management of the Corporation's Human Resources, and providing Support to the Active Board in the execution of its responsibilities.
The Executive Director (ED) plans, organizes, directs, and controls through its staff for finance, communications, and programming. The ED formulates policies and establishes the direction to be taken by the organization in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
Strategic and Operational Planning
• Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization.
• Identify, assess and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization.
• Research and collect information on national and provincial sector trends, analyze information and develop draft policy and recommendations regarding program initiatives for the Board.
• Implement policy and programs as approved by the board and as described in the strategic plan, program agreements and policy statements.
• Develop and implement administrative procedures and processes for the organization.
Financial and Performance Management
• Develop and monitor an annual budget for our client including the projected distribution of funds to the different program areas for expenses, operating cost and capital expenditures.
• Conduct regular reviews of the organization’s performance against the objects of the Board, monitor financial performance to ensure adherence to established budgets, and provide monthly and ad-hoc reports to the Board.
• Establish and implement a Board approved process to keep the organizations funders, stakeholders, and the general communities served, informed of our clients progress and overall performance.
• Assist in developing organizational action plans, implement the plans and provide mentorship and coaching to address any performance deficiencies.
• Provide financial records and develop monthly financial reports for review by the Board.
• Monitor financial transactions and identify areas of concern.
• Implement financial policies and processes in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices and initiate corrective action as required.
• Prepare annual renewal applications in draft format for Board approval.
• Submit all final and approved renewal applications for funding as directed by the Board of Directors.
• Negotiate all ongoing requirements with the funding bodies.
Human Resource Management
• Develop and monitor individual performance objectives and plans for all employees, and consultants ensuring compliance with the overall strategic direction of the organization.
• Develop and implement Board approved Human Resource policies including recruitment, compensation, employee relations, career management, performance management and organizational planning.
• Allocate staff resources to the Board if required for its standing and ad-hoc committees and working groups.
• Develop a long-term Human Resource plan for the Board of Directors approval to ensure appropriate staffing levels.
• Approve any required changes to existing human resource levels including additional resources, terminations and contracts.
• Support, coach and encourage all staff; develop and maintain open communication and a shared teamwork approach to the completion of all assignments within the organization.
Community Relations & Advocacy
• Promote our client, its goals and objectives to the public and other stakeholders.
• Develop a strategic marketing plan for the organization and monitor its continued implementation upon approval by the Board of Directors.
• Prepare and/or approve press releases on behalf of the organization.
• Attend events in the community to raise the profile of the organization.
• Act as a spokesperson for the organization, when designated, ensuring its position and vision as defined by the Board of Directors are effectively communicated and its profile enhanced.
THE COMPETENCIES The Executive Director is the leader of our client's Society and must be able to develop and maintain an environment in line with their values, gain the support and commitment of stakeholders in order to achieve organizational goals, and represent the organization so that the community and all stakeholders perceive our client as an effective, efficient and important contributor to the community. Leadership skills in this role also include the ability to clearly communicate strategic and operational standards, values, expectations and priorities to ensure people are appropriately supported in order to be effective.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate the following leadership competencies to be successful in the role:
• Fostering collaboration and teamwork – The ability to promote cooperation, collaboration and partnerships between individuals or group both inside and outside of our client's Society ensuring that everyone understands each other’s roles, responsibilities and contributions.
• Effective oral, written and presentation skills – The ability to actively listen to messages being communicated by stakeholders, and communicate the right messages in an effective manner in writing and orally. The ability to create and conduct presentations to small and large groups.
• Community responsiveness – A desire to identify and serve the interests of our client's key stakeholders. It involves having the ability to recognize and accommodate the needs of diverse children and families.
• Strong judgment – The ability to utilize objective and valid information from a variety of sources to make informed decisions, understand the potential impacts, and keep all relevant parties informed.
• Results orientation – A drive to meet a standard of performance. The standard may be one’s own past performance, an objective measure or challenging goals one has set. It includes setting goals and priorities that maximize the use of resources available to consistently deliver results against our client’s direction, objectives and public expectations.
• Business acumen – The ability to apply principles of finance, accounting and business management within a not-for-profit setting and to recognize the opportunities and identify risks.
• Environmental sensitivity – Open to the economic, political, social and demographic environment and its impact on our client. This includes the ability to use examples and explanations drawn from experiences by others outside one’s organization, explain the impact of significant external events on the organization, and introduce external events and trends into workplace discussions, and to look outside the Board when analyzing current and future needs.
• Developing people – This involves a genuine commitment to foster the long-term success and growth of others. It includes the ability to facilitate employees to recognize developmental needs and opportunities, obtain needed resources, and follow through to achieve developmental goals.
• Maintaining direction – The ability to monitor progress towards a goal and make adjustments when necessary. This includes the ability to review and fine tune plans and multiple priorities on an on-going basis, to set up procedures for regular review of progress and be accessible and available for questions, problems and issues that require attention.
• Resource Management – The ability to identify, obtain and effectively allocate the resources required to achieve applicable goals. It includes the ability to accurately identify resource requirements, to ensure that everyone understands each others’ responsibilities and to serve as a broker of expertise; bring the appropriate resources to bear on problems and opportunities.
• Dedication to excellence – A commitment to continuous improvement of administration and business practices, policies and programs. This includes the ability to improve on what is already working and to champion programs and services to meet our client's standards and goals.
• Building credibility – The ability to build others’ trust in one’s own professionalism, integrity, expertise and ability to get results. This includes demonstrating confidence and requisite expertise and experience to gain personal credibility.
• Self Confidence – Projects an assurance in one’s own ability to be successful, to meet challenges, and to overcome obstacles. This includes the ability to maintain composure when dealing with powerful people, manage stress effectively, take setbacks in stride and bring situations under control and not be threatened by ambiguity and conflict.
• Enhancing organization image – Focuses on building and protecting the image, reputation and long-term interests of the organization within the community.
• Organizational awareness – Understands our client’s formal and informal structures, goals, norms and policies; is aware of the impact and implications of decisions and activities and knows the formal decision-making process.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Specific experience with the knowledge of financial statements and financial analysis, human resources legislation, as well as knowledge of government programs and services is an asset. Specific experience with building positive relationships with communities, stakeholders, media and government representatives is necessary.
The successful candidate must have:
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office 10 environment;
• At least a Class 5 Drivers License and reliable personal transportation.
• A satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
SUPPORT TO THE ACTIVE BOARD:
Our Client values diversity and is committed to providing an inclusive work environment. We are looking to identify qualified individuals who represent, at all job levels, the diversity of the people our client serves and encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, individuals of all genders and sexual orientation, origin and ethnic affiliations, disability, age, and religion.
Only those candidates permitted to work in Canada, and shortlisted will be contacted. We thank all those that apply in advance. Our client offers an excellent Salary and Benefits program for the successful candidate.
To APPLY submit your resume in Word Format at www.excel.bc.ca and upload your resume directly to the job www.excel.bc.ca/opportunities/job/4771 so our recruiters can view your interest. Contact Karen Watt TF: 1-877-374-3853 or 250-374-3853 or email: [email protected]
Excel Personnel has been hiring Great People for Exceptional Companies since 1992 in Northern, Central and Southern BC.
Excel Personnel provides Permanent, Temporary, Contract Staffing Solutions, Payrolling Services and Executive Search Services for companies that do not have an HR professional onsite and for those that do, that wish to outsource while they continue with their in house hiring practices.
Copyright © 2021 Excel Personnel Inc.. All rights reserved.
Website Design by Kelowna Web Design Agency Csek Creative.