Public Works Lead Hand
Job Code: #4831
Job Type: Contract
The Planning and Engineering (P&E) Department is responsible for managing, planning and developing water, sanitary sewer, and road services, as well as various other community infrastructure projects. The Planning and Engineering Department conducts its work by maintaining engineering and environmental standards, sustaining community growth, and providing a high level of service that enhances the quality of life on our client site.
The Planning and Engineering department develops and maintains relationships with various community members, government ministries, agents, industry and other individuals for the purposes of long- and short-term planning as well as daily operations and maintenance.
The purpose of the Public Works Lead Hand position is to support the Public Works Foreman in the overall management, administration, leadership, supervision and operation of our clients Public Works Department to ensure a high level of service for the community.
The Public Works Lead Hand position works independently but takes direction from and reports directly to the Public Works Foreman. The Public Works Lead Hand position is client centered and is expected to operate with the highest level of customer service, safety, and confidentiality. The position contributes to the creation of a strong and effective operational program to maintain and improve the quality of life on our client site.
The Public Works Lead Hand interacts with a wide variety of our clients employees, as well as Band Members and non-Band representatives including;
- Chief and Council and community members
- Band employees, committees and working groups
- Suppliers, contractors, and service providers
- Other First Nation communities
- Other external customers and clients
- Other stakeholders and special interest groups.
- Supports the day to day operations of the Public Works Department including but not limited to the
following areas: (90%)
- Public Works Yard and Shop
- Heavy Equipment Operators
- Water Distribution/ Seasonal Irrigation
- Labourers/ Light Equipment Operators
- Client Asset Management Programs
- Landscaping (Community/CLC)
- Community Events/Funerals
- Emergency Response and Recovery
Under the administrative direction of the Public Works Foreman, the Public Works Lead Hand will be responsible for assisting the Public Works Foreman as directed in the supervision, planning, coordinating, and organizing of any client maintenance projects as assigned. They shall act as interim Public Works Foreman in the absence of the Public Works Foreman and also be available for weekend or evening call outs as scheduled with the Public Works Foreman.
Under the general direction of the Public Works Foreman, the responsibilities of the Public Works Lead Hand will include the following:
A. General Duties
- Review assigned maintenance projects on a regular basis with the Public Works Foreman.
- Assist in prioritizing and coordinating work activities, determining work procedures, preparing work schedules and determining methods for expediting workflow.
- Assist Public Works seasonal planning and resourcing activities (i.e.: snow removal, irrigation, landscaping).
- Ensures that all Public Works tools and equipment are in good repair and are regularly maintained.
- Assist in mechanical servicing and light repair of equipment.
- Ensures the required lubrication on equipment is performed on a daily basis including regularly scheduled preventative maintenance.
- Ensures that needed maintenance and repairs of client fleet vehicles are performed.
- Oversees parts and supplies acquisition and disbursement.
- Assist in training staff in day to day monitoring, maintaining and servicing of equipment to ensure that operation standards are met.
- Ensures that all client community infrastructure is maintained and functioning in good order. Including the operation, maintenance, and repair of elements of roads, sewers, watermains, dams, aggregate pit, landfill, surface water management infrastructure, facilities and related structures and/or grounds.
- Visually inspect problem areas in the field and determine materials, staff, and time needed to bring up to standard.
- Observe work in progress and after completion; ensure compliance with maintenance and quality standards, code and environmental requirements.
- Coordinate with Planning & Engineering staff on engineering design work for maintenance-related projects.
- Assist in ensuring safe working practices are observed at all times.
- Ensure that all Public Works staff are equipped with and use required safety gear.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and monitoring of department functions in order to ensure efficiency, proper tracking, quality and quantity of work standards.
- Assist in the implementation of Client asset management systems.
- Record quantities, costs and other particulars related to the maintenance programs assigned, as well as compilation and verification of all payments.
- Assist in ensuring all invoices on purchases are authorized and coded to the proper account code.
- Assist with gathering monthly mileage data and fuel consumption.
- Assist in approving daily time sheets of Public Works crews, equipment operators, and seasonal staff.
- To be capable of and assume the duties of Public Works Staff worker whenever required.
- Maintain courteous business-like relations with the public, contractors, Band Members and co-workers.
- Receives and responds to emergency situations and acts accordingly.
- Participate in Client Emergency Management Systems related to Public Works functions.
- Ensure that outside of operating hours Client Facilities are locked and secure at all times.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with Client policies, standards, and procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality on all matters relating to the affairs of the Client
- Expected to continuously upgrade skills and knowledge, and to further their formal training in areas that support the management of our Client's Public Works divisions and functions (5%)
- Class 1 Driver’s License with Air Brakes.
- Environmental Operators Water Treatment Technology Certificate (EOCP) – Water Distribution Level 1 & 2
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulation training, as it pertains to this position, and
- Budgeting, computer and office skills where appropriate.
- Other related duties as necessary (5%)
This position does not administer a budget.
SUPERVISION OR TRAINING DUTIES
This position supports the Public Works Foreman in the supervision of approximately 20 positions.
TOOLS / EQUIPMENT
- Small hand tools and other applicable equipment.
- Perform regular preventative maintenance and light repair of equipment.
- Indoor/outdoor work locations during all seasons of the year.
- Occasionally, lift equipment or materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Work a flexible schedule, which may include early morning, evening, weekends, overtime, and may perform 24-hour standby for essential services.
Professional Certification, Education and Experience
- Must have grade 12 education or equivalent
- Must possess valid current Class 1 Driver’s License with Air Brakes
- Specialized vocational training or education in municipal related field would be an asset, i.e.: EOCP Certificate
- WCB Work Safe Training is preferred
- A Valid Standard First Aid ticket, Level 1 is preferred
- WHIMIS Training / Certificate is preferred
- Progressively more responsible experience in municipal operations, construction and maintenance work setting (minimum of 10 years of experience is preferred); or an equivalent combination of education/training or experience.
- Has considerable mechanical aptitude and experience operating heavy equipment, such as grader, loader, backhoe, bobcat, plow trucks, gravel truck and miscellaneous tools and equipment.
- A knowledge base in roads, water and wastewater utilities is an asset.
- The ability to read and understand construction plans, specifications, and drawings.
- 1 – 3 years experience in supervising assigned staff in a respectful, professional manner with a demonstrated ability to lead.
- Completion of formal leadership training.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of Asset Management
- Experience operating and driving straight trucks fitted with snow plough blades and road sanders
- Experience driving a tandem axle tractor pulling multi axle trailers
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to coordinate and manage concurrent activities and allocate resources appropriately
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Good written and oral communication
- Good computer skills, including word processing, spread sheet and data base management
- Extremely strong client communication and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work alone independently / unsupervised
- Knowledge of related codes regulating to our clients infrastructure assets will be preferred
- Ability to take direction
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural setting
- Strong ethics and knowledge of confidentiality
- Physically able to perform duties
- It is expected that all our client's employees be willing to continuously upgrade their skills and knowledge, and to further their formal training
To APPLY submit your resume in Word Format at www.excel.bc.ca and upload your resume directly to the job www.excel.bc.ca/opportunities/job/4831 so our recruiters can view your interest. Contact Karen Watt TF: 1-877-374-3853 or 250-374-3853 or email: [email protected]
Excel Personnel has been hiring Great People for Exceptional Companies since 1992 in Northern, Central and Southern BC.
Excel Personnel provides Permanent, Temporary, Contract Staffing Solutions, Payrolling Services and Executive Search Services for companies that do not have an HR professional onsite and for those that do, that wish to outsource while they continue with their in house hiring practices.
Positions available throughout BC in Management, Sales & Marketing, Administration & HR, Finance & Accounting, Manufacturing, Operations, Distribution, Engineering, Information Technology & IT Support, Healthcare, Transportation, and Natural Resources, Forestry, Construction, to name a few.