Emergency Planning Coordinator
Job Code: #4865
Job Type: Contract
Excel Personnel has been retained by our client to secure their next Emergency Planning Co ordinator on a contract short term in Kamloops, BC
The Emergency Planning Coordinator will work to improve community safety and security by addressing the following four areas:
- Mitigation and Prevention: Involves activities which reduce or eliminate the effects of an emergency or disaster.
- Preparedness: Actions taken prior to an emergency or disaster to ensure an effective response. This includes community education, emergency information, training, preparing plans, operations centers and communications systems.
- Response: Involves actions taken to response to an emergency.
- Recovery: Includes the activities required to return the community to its pre-emergency state.
Emergency Planning Coordinator will provide high-level project coordination, and the development of culturally safe and sustainable disaster response/recovery resources. This position works in a matrix environment, which requires strong and effective working relationships with colleagues, superiors, communities, and health service partners and organizations.
- Possess a post-secondary degree or diploma in health & safety or related program, along with proven experience from both a federal and provincial perspective. First Nations health & safety experience considered an asset.
- Proven emergency preparedness skills (prevention, mitigation, preparedness and response).
- Knowledge of the local communities and Nation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, etc.).
- Able to build working relationships with First Nation communities and partners.
- Hold a valid Driver’s License and have access to a reliable vehicle.
The duties and responsibilities of the Emergency Planning Coordinator will include working in conjunction with First Nations, all levels of government and external organizations (where applicable):
- Facilitate and coordinate development of Nation based Collaborative Emergency Management Agreements;
- Liaise with government, emergency services and media;
- Establish, develop, and maintain relationships with the Municipal & Regional District Emergency Management sector, external agencies, as well as Provincial entities;
- Capacity building and community development – work with education and employment coordinator to schedule and register community members and contractors for emergency management related employment opportunities;
- Community Education – Personal and community emergency preparedness;
- Facilitate and coordinate development of Community Wildfire Protection (CWP) Plans – including forest fuel management projects on and off reserve;
- Emergency response planning at the Nation level that supports communities during emergencies;
- Emergency Plan development, implementation and revisions, including coordinating community emergency teams and developing and leading emergency exercises;
- Manage emergency preparedness response and capacity;
- Determine volunteer/employee training needs as necessary and develop, implement, and monitor a training and exercise plan.
- Write proposals to seek funding for emergency preparedness, mitigation, and recovery, forest fuel management and education.
Perform other duties as assigned as related to the position;
- Participate in the development of the goals, objectives, policies and procedures of the First Nations Band.
Accountable to the Board of Directors, Executive Director and members of First Nations ?
Human Resource Policy and Procedures to apply.
Work requires local travel and interaction with First Nations, requiring a valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation;
- Work may be subject to unscheduled hours;
- Work has a high public profile and considerable public contact; ? High level sensitivity to First Nation issues.
Ok Then, if sounds like this is right in your Wheel House then call Karen Watt to discuss how we can work together and how we can work with our client with your background.
To APPLY submit your resume in Word Format at www.excel.bc.ca under opportunities and hit the Apply Now Button and upload your resume directly to the job http://excel.bc.ca/opportunities/job/4865 so our recruiters can view your interest. Contact Karen Watt TF: 1-877-374-3853 or 250-374-3853 or email: [email protected]
Excel Personnel has been hiring Great People for Exceptional Companies since 1992 in Northern, Central and Southern BC.
Excel Personnel provides Permanent, Temporary, Contract Staffing Solutions, Payrolling Services and Executive Search Services for companies that do not have an HR professional onsite and for those that do, that wish to outsource while they continue with their in house hiring practices.